Thursday, June 20, 2013

Clove Rock Candy

Photo: Have you ever tried these? They are clove balls. When we were in Ireland the hubby bought them for me thinking they were peppermints. After I got past the initial difference in taste I realized that they had numbed my throat! Which was a good things because it had been hurting through half the trip. Now I keep them on hand at all times. Can't stop work/school because of a scratchy throat! ~S

Clove Rock. I am in Ireland and you can get them in most sweet shops or major chains here.

If you like I will give you a recipe. 


Ingredients
5 cups granulated sugar,
2 cups water,
1 1/2 cups clear corn syrup,
2 tablespoons food coloring (your color choice),
1/2 - 1 teaspoon flavored oil (your flavor choice),
1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar,
Candy thermometer.


Prep It


Dust a marble slab with confectioner’s sugar.

(If you do not have a marble slab, chill a sheet pan and top with parchment paper before dusting).

 This will prevent the candy from sticking to the surface and to each other later.


Heat It Up

Place sugar, water, and corn syrup in a heavy pan over medium heat and stir together briefly.

When mixture begins to boil, stir again and continue to boil until a candy thermometer reaches 320ºF /160ºC (the “Hard Crack Stage”).

 Remove from heat.


Time to Add Some Color!


Quickly stir in food coloring and flavored oil until blended.

Immediately pour on to marble slab.

Let cool for 5 minutes.

Dust a little more powdered sugar over top of candy.


And, Lastly...


Break into small pieces by striking with a meat mallet or other heavy tool until you have small pieces. Put in a glass jar to keep fresh.


2 comments:

  1. Can I use powder sugar instead of the grandest sugar

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good to have this! I'm in Australia and since covid its been hard to get things like clove rock, cinnamon lozenges etc. Now i can try making them myself.

    ReplyDelete